Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice Festival

22 December 2011 marks the day when sunshine is weakest and daylight shortest and also it's the day where we celebrate the Dongzhi Festival (Winter Solstice Festival). Dongzhi Festival is a time where family get together to make and eat tangyuan (湯圓), the balls of glutinous rice, which symbolize reunion. Normally in my family, we make our tangyuan in 4 colors which represents the 4 seasons (summer, autumn, fall and winter) but some people prefer to do it just white.

This year around I celebrated the Dongzhi Festival twice. One with my family from Ipoh (Mum & Dad) and second one with my lovelies in Penang. The first round was a more perfect and more nicely done compare to the one I did myself in Penang. Mum is always the best (in providing guidance and help). The following pictures shows the whole process of how tangyuan was done (in my house).

Prep the flour 4 colors ( red-autumn, yellow-fall, green-summer and white-winter )
Roll roll roll and round they be
Put them in boiling water
When they are done, put them in cold water
Take them out and put them into a bowl with sweet soup. wahla! SERVED!
The second round started of with a minor hiccup where I when back to Penang and realized that in Penang glutinous flour gets sold out during the Dongzhi  Festival. I when around Penang search high and low for it and in the end got it from a mall, Sunshine Square.

4 malls and 2 convenient shops for ONE packet of this flour. 
And it dint turn out well as I failed the first batch of trying to make the dough. I added too much water. LOL. It was so sticky that we threw it away. Victor and Allen was at my house helping out, along with my housemates Kim, Keat and Ben. <3 you guys to the make and thanks for bearing with my epic failure and the not-so-good tasting tangyuan.

This is how it turned out to look like.
6 bowls of nice balls - Sean Tierney
Rolled by Victor & looks like him.
In the end, we enjoyed the process more than the meal itself as it dint really taste good (sweet soup wasn't sweet enough and quantity, too little) but main point we had fun and Victor learned to scrap of the ginger skin and Allen rolled tangyuan for the first time (if I not mistaken)

AFTERMATHS :-
I ended up with flour all over my hair and body >.<
Thank guys for tonight! Too bad for David who cant make it.

4 comments:

haha, it was a fun experience indeed

LOL. you learned how to scrap ginger skin. I shall upload the vid. XD

OMG, got vid some more. Taken by poodle??

Ninja Me!